Arizona – The 49ers have been eliminated from the playoffs but it doesn’t stop them from wrecking havoc on teams for their final two games. San Francisco’s 20-12 victory over the Arizona Cardinals dimmed their playoff chances on what they thought would be an easy win against a team with countless injuries.
“The defense had an unbelievable game, they kept them contained most of the game,” 49ers head coach Kyle Shanahan said. “That was our biggest challenge and that’s what got away from us in Week 1.”
San Francisco committed their fewest turnovers in a long time and a stout defense kept Kyler Murray and his offense off the board until the fourth quarter. Murray threw one touchdown in the fourth while Mike Nugent kicked two field goals for 27 and 43 yards in the first and second quarter. The 49ers defense contained the Cardinals majority of the game and it showed.
C.J. Beathard made his first start since Oct 28, 2018 against Arizona. Beathard went 13-for-22 for 182 yards and three touchdowns. An incredible performance by Beathard and Jeff Wilson Jr. who rushed for 183 yard with 22 carries. With a new haircut an emotional Beathard discussed his brothers death almost a year ago and what this game meant to him.
“I’ve always been so inspired by C.J.,” said Kyle Juszczyk. “Just how this guy just grinds regardless of what’s happened to him and the circumstances. This guy has gone through a lot in the last couple of years. I felt he was being unfairly judged for his first couple of years in the league and just how tough it was to play as a rookie and a second-year guy with the roster we had at the time.
When he got his opportunity like he did tonight, I felt like he was going to run with it. I’m sure he could tell you all about the plays that he’d like better. But I’ll just tell you the guy inspires us so much and we are so happy to go out there and perform for him.”
Rockin’ Around the Quarterback
· The 49ers defense recorded 3.0 sacks on Cardinals QB Kyler Murray, marking the 3rd game this season the defense has registered at least 3.0 sacks in a game..
Have Yourself a Kerry Little Christmas
· DL Kerry Hyder Jr. tallied 2 tackles and 1.0 sack of Murray. He now has 8.5 sacks on the year, setting a new single-season career-high (8.0 sacks in 2016 as a member of the Detroit Lions).
On Dasher, On Prancer, On…. K’Waun is Blitzen’
· CB K’Waun Williams finished notched 6 tackles, 1.0 sack and 1 FF, his first FF of the year. He now has a career-high 2.0 sacks on the season and 6.0 in his career.
That’s the Jingle Bell Rock
· DL D.J. Jones registered 1 tackles and 1.0 sack of Murray, setting a career-high with his 3rd sack of the season and the 5th of his career.
· LB Fred Warner forced and recovered a Cardinals TE Dan Arnold fumble, his 1st FF and 2nd FR of the season. Warner now has 5 career FFs and 3 career FRs.
· Warner finished the game with 14 tackles, tying his career-high [14 tackles at LAR (12/30/18)], a career-high 3 PDs, 1 FF and 1 FR.
Ahkello We Have Heard On High
· CB Ahkello Witherspoon intercepted Murray in the endzone, marking his 1st INT since the 2019 season [at TB (9/8/19)] and the 4th of his career.
Photo by 49ers